So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Monday, 15 March 2010

WEEK 45 False Sense of Security

Although the legal threat of the office junior’s bullying allegations have come to nothing, HOWARD has refrained from sending me insulting e-mails again. There is no longer a written record of his ugly, lesbian, obese jokes at my expense.

Not that I’m out of the woods regarding e-mails. For months I’ve been enduring Carry-On style flirting from the Senior Solicitor who sits next to HOWARD. I don’t think I’m alone. He’s Head of Personnel so no-one’s likely to tell him to get lost.

I’m not very good at flirting. However, I did see the irony when he started e-mailing me in defence of HOWARD’S jibes.

“I don’t think you’re overweight like HOWARD says. Do ignore him,” he wrote. “You are beautiful from the top of your head to your very toes. If this was not the case why would I want to cover you with raspberry jam?”

The jam theme went on all day.

You wouldn’t expect a Senior Solicitor and Head of Personnel would use HOWARD’S politically incorrect banter as a jumping off point for sexual banter. I mean, HOWARD wants to kill me and the guy supposed to protect me wants to cover me in fruit preserve?

“Take no notice, I know you’re not gay,” he wrote when HOWARD debated again whether I’m gay. “Thank you. I’m really not,” I replied. “I know,” he agreed. “Our penchant for massage fantasy tells me it’s not true.”

We are all labouring under a misguided sense of security. The Senior Solicitor has no idea that he is trying to be fruity with an anonymous blogger and HOWARD doesn’t realise the Senior Solicitor is quoting his insults in writing.

So I suppose the question today is this:-

As a divorced legal secretary living alone in a recession, is the only sense of security I’m going to have - a false one?

Answers on a postcard...

See you soon

Eva x

No comments:

Bottom Swirl