So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Wednesday, 31 March 2010

WEEK 50 The Operation

I cannot believe this is my 50th blog. I never thought it would take this long to find another job! Also, sorry if I’ve been quieter on twitter this week. I’ve been distracted because I need an operation on my shoulder. Let me explain:-

Six years ago I had an accident. The result was a dislocated shoulder which needed a couple of pins and wiring to re-set it. A few months ago the wire began to move, but the real problems started a couple of weeks ago when it became agonising to move my arm, wash and dry my hair or wear tight fitting tops.

HOWARD explained how long he estimated I’d have to live in agony on the NHS waiting list. “I can’t believe I’m paying taxes so you can have what almost amounts to elective surgery,” he added.

After a trip to hospital the doctor concluded they’d have to operate soon. I explained to the PM I’d need a few days off.

“Don’t use sick leave for your operation. You may as well take it out of your holidays,” the PM replied. “You won’t be going away with your mother again will you? You’ve got plenty of days left.”

I stared at her, trying to work out if she was joking. She was serious. It’s now deemed okay to ask for my sick leave to be taken out of my annual leave, and for my annual leave to be cancelled anytime because “I have no life.”

“Hope you’re not worried about the operation,” HOWARD added. “What’s the worst that can happen? Mmm, let me have a think...”

It got worse.

At the start of this week I picked up a cold and chest infection. I battled into work, coughing, sneezing and wincing every time I moved my arm. I worried they’d have to delay the operation if I couldn’t shake it off in time.

“What does surprise me,” HOWARD said, “is that you get ill at all, considering the squalor you probably live in. I thought you’d be more like the African sex workers who become immune to AIDS as they’re exposed to it so often.”

Every part of my life seems painful and unfunny.

Then during lunch yesterday HOWARD tried to access a ‘name and shame’ type website he’d heard about, called “Solicitors from Hell.” HOWARD and the Senior Solicitor discussed colleagues they’d come across who deserved a place on the list. I noted HOWARD’S fleeting look of concern.

I had an emotional breakdown last night. I cried my eyes out thinking people will never understand. Look how my colleagues underestimate the situation. It reminded me how HOWARD had underestimated the pain I’m in, wrongly suggesting I’d have to wait forever on the NHS.

I sat there with my empty box of Kleenex Balm and my swollen eyes. Dazed and thoughtful, I leant against an ice pack. Hadn’t the NHS listened and concluded that the problem with my shoulder was too severe to be added to the waiting list? Maybe people will also appreciate why HOWARD’S case was too severe to simply add his name to the list on “Solicitors from Hell”.

Perhaps people will understand why I put Bullied by the Boss into operation.

I hope so.

See you soon

Eva x

No comments:

Bottom Swirl