So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Sunday, 25 April 2010

WEEK 57 With a Little Help from my Friends

A year ago a good friend, tired of my moaning, gave me the idea of blogging about the workplace bullying I was experiencing. I had no idea if it would interest anyone, but realised it would give me a voice. It would also force me to resolve the situation. Cyberspace friends wouldn’t support endless moaning about how I was a ‘victim’ any more than my other friends would.

So where am I today? I once wrote of the difficulty keeping faith that everything will be alright in the end and used the phrase, ‘Leap and the Net will Appear’. A few weeks ago when I couldn’t take any more from HOWARD, I walked out. Thankfully, the net was there to catch me. I understand now the net refers to friends, Leap and the Friends will Appear. Most of my cyberspace friends are Australian and I owe them a special mention!

Then Ann Lewis, a leadership and workplace coach, kindly sent me her book ‘Recover your Balance: How to Bounce Back from Bad Times at Work.” Her book arrived just as the emotional fallout of working for HOWARD so long really hit me for six. My self esteem and my sanity imploded.

I’m still taking things one day at a time, but Ann’s book has been invaluable. There aren’t enough books on how to get through these situations. The most important chapters for me involved what to do next. I’ve gained a little perspective and realise I’m not really suited to secretarial work. Whilst my organisations skills are good, my creativity and literary ambition go against me.

I’ve always had a desire to teach secondary school, but never had the money to retrain and sit the PGCE. If I am awarded anything from a Tribunal, the money will go towards this. For the first time in a long time, I’m excited about the future.

At the same time I’ll continue blogging and researching workplace bullying. Once the Tribunal action is over, I aim to write a book and/or consider how to reach businesses, employers or targets of bullying on a more personal level to pass on what I’ve learnt.

I don’t know where I’m going to end up, but I know I got by with a little help from my friends.

In the meantime, of course, I'll still be here. I hope you are too.

Lots of love and thank you from the bottom of my heart,

Bullied by the Boss.

No comments:

Bottom Swirl