So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Sunday, 2 May 2010

WEEK 59 Eleanor Rigby II

Starting back to work last Friday was one of the hardest things.

My new firm couldn’t have been friendlier, but it was a nightmare. I was lost, tongue tied. I was nervous and awkward. If someone laughed, I worried it was about me. In short, I was drowning in paranoia. I felt like I’d been sucked back in time, I’d time-warped back to the beginning again for it unfold afresh. I was Eleanor Rigby from WEEK 1. I was terrified.

I sat down, nodded at my new colleagues and began typing. The job was in the employment department and I lost myself in the minor details. I tried to drown out my new surroundings by concentrating on the job at hand. I found comfort in the familiar...the ‘yours sincerely, yours faithfully’ routine I was used to.

As I got through the audio-tapes, absorbing the stories behind the witness statements, the letters to Employment Tribunals and clients, I realised I wasn’t Eleanor Rigby. I certainly wasn’t alone.

I was typing about people like me, people who’d suffered problems in work so big they’d ended up in court too. The shelves groaned under the weight of workplace bullying experiences, safety at work complaints and whistle-blowing. I had no idea it was so out of hand and so common.

"All the lonely people..."

I typed faster.

I’ll get myself back to normal as soon as possible. Then I can consider what more I can do against workplace bullying in my own way.

See you soon

Eva x

1 comment:

Fiona WordsBird said...

That's the best possible start in a new office. They really understand. They are making a good living out of sorting out bullies such as Howard and the company culture that allows him to flourish. I hope you continue to take comfort and strength from the knowledge that it never was about YOU. It's about a clash of values that has no place in the 21st century workplace.

Bottom Swirl