So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

WEEK 60 Artist's Impressions

A couple of weeks before I walked out, something happened in work which was overshadowed by the later events. I received a telephone call asking me to attend the conference room.

“Nothing sinister,” the Senior Solicitor said. “Just a quick chat.”

The Senior Solicitor reminded me of the former secretary bringing a tribunal claim against them for unfair dismissal about 8 months prior. She had a good case. She also had copies of our e-mails when we worked together, which supported her claim. I was told there might be redundancies if I didn’t help. They painted her the villain.

It had been awful when they’d sacked her. I wanted to speak up in her defence, but I didn’t want to lose my job. I'd always felt sorry for not saying something.

They told me I had until the next day to confirm whether I’d side with them.

Later, as I bit my nails and stared at my PC, the Senior Solicitor was at pains to highlight the seriousness, whilst telling me not to get too stressed. HOWARD had stood up.

“I couldn’t give a shit if you’re stressed,” HOWARD announced. “I can’t be blamed this time. I’m just happily watching. This time it’s not my concern!”

After listening to HOWARD I was happy to tell them I wouldn't help.

After I left the firm, I wrote to the secretary and asked if there was anything I could do. I drafted a witness statement for her just in case.
Her solicitors said they couldn’t use me as I hadn’t stood up and supported her at the time. They assured me that the cross examination would be ruthless and my motives for helping would be attributed to a desire for revenge. I’d also joined too late in the day. Live and learn. I won’t keep quiet in the future that’s for sure.

Then my solicitors phoned and said my old firm are about to go on the attack.

They’ve obviously forgotten what I look like too. I’m a secretary who was bullied out of her job, but I bet in their artist’s impression I’ve grown claws and fangs; probably whilst stirring a cauldron and cursing their name.

But it's still a nicer description than anything HOWARD had given me whilst we were working together.

See you soon. Eva x

No comments:

Bottom Swirl