So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 8 May 2010

WEEK 61 Hung Parliament

The attack I predicted in my last blog came to nothing. My old firm didn’t lodge a defence at the Tribunal calling me a liar or a villain, or at least they haven’t yet. Nothing happened. Not a sausage. My solicitor hasn’t even called.

Perhaps it’s the news and the hung parliament, but I sense negotiations are taking place.

My solicitor is adamant they’ll settle with a compromise agreement because the extent of the bullying is horrific. He confirmed that HOWARD and his friends will do anything to keep it out of Tribunal where some clever journalist might spot it.

I’m disappointed, of course. I want to make an example of them. I want to use my own case to highlight workplace bullying to put the spotlight on how it can happen anywhere. The agreement will inevitably include a confidentiality clause – gagging my mentioning it again. My old firm can pretend it never happened. They will pay me to keep quiet.

But I don’t want to stay quiet. I want to help other people.

So, if I’m forced to settle they will have to allow me to write about workplace bullying under a pen name and keep their identity anonymous. Aside from the blog, I intend to write a book about how employees can protect themselves personally and legally if it happens to them. It will be thoroughly researched and draw on every ounce of insight I’ve gained into the problem.

If they refuse to allow this clause in the compromise agreement then I will cease negotiations and march my band all the way to Tribunal. I’ll then write a book under my own name and dedicate it to the real HOWARD and my old firm.

They won’t be happy about it, but as this weekend sees the Tories and Liberal Democrats trying to work together - anything is possible.

See you soon. Eva x

4 comments:

Mr Fan said...

You are starting to rise from the ashes, the world needs someone like you to tell bullies that is is unexceptable, inappropriate behaviour and, you should advertise on as many sites on the World wide web.

AUSOHS said...

You have shown incredible courage and genuine smarts in the way you've handled this ghastly episode. The bullies really deserve to be exposed - maybe public scrutiny of their behaviour would lead to some toughening up on workplace bullying. But I fully understand if you are reluctant to go to the full extent, it means more stress, uncertainty and as you pointed out, the distinct likelihoood of attacks on your integrity and character.
But go for them to the fullest extent you can (that you are comfortable with) in the tribunal!

Bullied By The Boss said...

Thanks AUSOHS. I don't know whether it's smarts or just plain luck. I do think I'm lucky. I think if I hadn't have collected the evidence I wouldn't have survived this.

Think you and Mr Fan are right...bullies should have it in the back of their mind they might pick on the one stubborn person who is determined to prove them wrong.

Bullied By The Boss said...

Of course, they may win in the end and I may not prove them wrong...but I'll keep trying.

Bottom Swirl