So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Wednesday, 26 May 2010

WEEK 66 The Award Goes To...

Yesterday, when I told my solicitor I want to make an example of my old firm, I knew he wouldn’t be happy. “But Eva,” he said, “The legal costs will eat up your damages. I’m just thinking of you...I want you to walk away with a good settlement. If you go to Tribunal the only ones who win are the lawyers.”

If I don’t go to Tribunal, the only one to win is HOWARD, who, it so happens, is also a lawyer.

I am surrounded by lawyers saying I should take a cheque and walk away. Apparently, they’re all just thinking of me.

You might know already, there is something called a “nuisance award”. Self explanatory, it’s when a company pays some annoying ex-member of staff to drop a legal action.

The Compromise Agreement is one step up from the “nuisance award.” Of course it’s the easiest option - take the money and keep your mouth shut. It is also the laziest answer to staffing problems. Not that the Compromise Agreement doesn’t have its place...it just shouldn’t be first.

So HOWARD is calculating my “nuisance” cheque to get lost.

“Your principles could cost you,” my solicitor warned, doing everything to put me off Tribunal.

I gave it a great deal of thought – knowing I’m facing months of pressure to settle from my own side and ACAS.

There’s only one way I’ll do it, I told my solicitor. The Senior Management team, including HOWARD, will all have to take a nationally recognised “How to Treat your Staff with Dignity” training course, and the settlement will have to allow me to write anonymously about workplace bullying.

There’s no way they’ll agree to it, of course. Their egos won’t take being ordered around by a secretary, let alone being forced into people management training. It just tickled me to put it in.

This is going to Tribunal.

Anyway, this year’s award for biggest nuisance has already gone to HOWARD.

Eva x

3 comments:

Mr Fan said...

Good thinking with the Mgmt course element of how to treat your staff. Some lawyers can win any case as they know all the legal loop holes, looking outside> evidence & third party reports must be recorded as taking on the big boys with silver tongues is a great courageous admiral, challenge. All the best

AUSOHS said...

You go girl! I wonder if the've got the guts to take you on.

Bullied By The Boss said...

Thanks! You keep me going you really do! There are plenty of great Dignity at Work courses around, sometimes we just need a reminder.

I'd be so pleased if they put their egos aside for a moment and gave it some thought.

Bottom Swirl