So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 17 July 2010

WEEK 83 Communication Breakdown

It’ll take me a while to get used to the cover-up.

My brother texted out of the blue to say he was paying me a flying visit with his family. I don’t see him that often so I shelved my gym plans and ran around for extra food and presents for his children.

When he turned up we had a couple of awkward moments; the unsettling aura of familiar kids grown into adult strangers. Separate lives. He wanted to know what I’d been up to recently. I paused. I frowned. I wondered what he’d make of my solicitors bill alone. “Not much,” I replied.

As his children bounced on the bed (a novelty having all your furniture in the same room) my brother noticed the papers on my desk. “Are you writing a book?” he asked.

I paused again. I frowned again. I thought about my current 56,000 word count. “Not really.”

“Will you ever get it together to buy your own place?”

“Maybe next year,” I said. “Anyway, what have you been up to?”

Fortunately, his children made it fun for us.

I can’t help wondering what he’d make of it all if he knew. I honestly don’t think he’d believe a word of it. When they left, I bumped my word count up to 58,000.

It doesn’t matter that I’ve signed the confidentiality clause saying I can’t talk about it. I can write about it – and I’ll have more things in common with those reading. We have a mutual interest.

Anyway, you don’t have to talk to communicate. I’m off to celebrate my growing word count by bouncing on the bed.

See you soon

Eva x

1 comment:

Mr Fan said...

...at least you have gone this far, as most wouldn't even Dare, and with the book, GREAT.
probably 1 in 10 get bullied & most don't even know it or are to scared to stand up for themselfs as their bossess determine there promotion, payrise, annual review and general physical & mental work regime. Thank you for your stories & I hope one day I will be in peace with my daily longterm workplace bullying ordeal which is always absolutley guaranteed without FAIL. I will probably be off-line for a short while as I have some committments. Thank you and everything and hopefull one day I can shine so bright, nothing will ever degrade me. x

Bottom Swirl