So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Tuesday, 27 July 2010

WEEK 86 Pace Yourself

I did it! I finished the first draft of my workplace bullying book on Sunday.

Having shut myself away to get it finished, when I came up for air there were one or two domestic chores outstanding. I raced to Tesco, chucked my laundry in the machine and cleaned my little flat from top to bottom. Then I turned on my phone and PC to catch up on any messages. I resolved to get everything done before I opened my half bottle of Blossom Hill to celebrate.

I had the shock of my life when I opened my e-mails. My old employment solicitor had sent me an e-mail. I wondered what was up, because I’d paid his bill. It didn’t bode well. I don’t know about your e-mail set-up, but mine shows the first few words of the contents, which read in this case...

“I’m sorry about this but I’m afraid I’ve done something really stupid...”

My mind galloped off 10 scenarios where your solicitor needs to apologise and none of them were good. I tensed and opened the full version.

It’s always the last thing you expect.

He’s signed up for the half marathon for charity and wants to get some serious training in. Ambitious in everything, he wants to get the best time he can. He asked if I might help him, could I draw him up a schedule or go on a couple of training runs with him or something.

I was absolutely delighted. It’ll get us both fit.

Life throws up lovely surprises. I’ve just finished a first draft of a book which includes why employment law should be put through its paces and here’s my old employment lawyer volunteering to go first.

See you soon

Eva x

No comments:

Bottom Swirl