So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 7 August 2010

WEEK 89 Bounce Back

All week, BBC news has charted the Rocky style comebacks of the big banks. Financially crippled two years ago, the banking giants are now recording huge profits. Lloyds Bank, Royal Bank of Scotland and HSBC were up there in the list of those transformed, fighting fit and ready for a new era.

Lloyds Bank made a £1.6 billion profit following a £1.3 billion loss over the past two years. How so? By a drop in the bad debt and by dumping a staggering 16,000 staff.

RBS reports a similar picture. They also recorded a pre-tax £1.1 billion turnover for the first half of the year alone. Last year they recorded a £3.4 billion loss. Again, it was a drop in bad debt and the loss of approximately 23,000 workers that turned the company around.

It got me thinking about my old company. HOWARD, as far as I know, is still employed with the law firm and, I assume, still earning them a good deal of money. Perhaps they’re also recording record profits.

The banks, and my old firm, are breathing a sigh of relief. The worst is behind them. The guys at the top are patting themselves on the back, lighting cigars and taking the stopper out of a decanter of brandy.

I can’t help feeling nothing has changed. Has anyone learned anything? Will the guy at the top always screw the guy at the bottom to make a quick buck? Maybe I sound a bit cynical, but this is the way it works. It doesn’t really matter how you do it. In a world of corporate spin and marketing, it’s how quick you bounce back from corporate adversity which makes the headlines.

So, if you’ve lost your job or been bullied into half-shadow by a corporation, it’s time you did everything in your power to address your balance sheet and do everything you can to make your comeback every bit as extraordinary as theirs.

See you soon

Eva x

No comments:

Bottom Swirl