So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Wednesday, 25 August 2010

WEEK 93 The Shining

When I said last week my physical and mental health were on the mend – I may have been premature. This time, however, the injuries are self-inflicted.

The obsession with my finishing my book on workplace bullying has shrunk my world to the path between two desks; work and home. Now I’m feeling it. The effort of sitting on an office chair staring at a screen for 12/13 hours a day is taking its toll. My back’s killing me to the point I can’t go to the gym. My wrists and thumbs pulse. By 3 o’clock I get PC claustrophobia. I can't stop wriggling in my chair. By the time I turn my computer off in the evening, the eye-strain enduced headache causes genuine tears.

A good example is yesterday when, late afternoon, I had to move because bits of me had gone numb. Walking like Ken Dodd, I made it to an absent fee-earner’s room and stretched. Holding onto the shelves I bent forward; spine creaking in protest. It was then I saw his stack of ELA Magazines. Flicking through them, I noted one or two featured the subject of bullying. After a quick sort, I hobbled back to my desk with 9 magazines to read at lunch today.

My mum is organising an intervention. She’s planning a bus trip to the countryside on the weekend. She’s worried if she doesn't, when she reads it, my book will have shades of Stephen King’s The Shining. Each page will read,

“All work and no play makes BBTB a dull girl.”

It’ll do me good to get a break; some fresh air and a stretch, but she doesn’t have to worry. I am obsessed, but only because I’m close to finishing. And the thought of finishing –

It makes me shine.

Eva x

2 comments:

Mr Fan said...

...you need to look after yourself, adopt balance strategies. Congratulations on your near completion of your book! I beleive there is not enough books on this, and/if there is, nobody every hears anything, it's like indirect bullying, the silent nightmare!People need to wake up and stand up, enough is enough because bullying is unexceptable and innappropriate. Once your book is published it will help countless of people.

Bullied By The Boss said...

Hello Mr Fan.

You are so right. I can't believe how few books there are around on this subject. It's shocking. It really is the silent nightmare you talk about.

I really do hope it will help people. That's my aim really in writing it, to empower people to be open and honest about what's happening. Get it out there. There are so many of us, we all need a bit of liberating I think. x

Bottom Swirl