So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 4 September 2010

WEEK 96 Dragons' Den

Do you ever watch Dragons’ Den?

I love it, all those hopeful inventors - with their questionable gadgets and even more questionable business valuations. It’s so risky. When they walk up those stairs with their ‘original’ product, I almost peep through my fingers. The Dragons usually end up tearing a strip off them, snapping that no one else has invented it already because no-one wanted it in the first place.

The ‘uniqueness’ of the invention is pointless if it has no unique selling point.

This resonates with me. I have a chapter in my book called ‘Suggestions from the Blue Sky.’ It’s a collection of my practical ideas about how to deal with bullying, or prove it, while it’s happening. But here’s the thing I find strange. I’ve never read similar proposals anywhere else. Why hasn’t anyone else done this? Where are all the other books with such concepts? When I read ‘Blue Sky’ through, it seems defiant and rebellious. But it’s not subversive, it’s just written with such lack of guile, even I find it disarming when I read it back.

Mr Fan noted a couple of weeks back in the comments section that bullying is the ‘silent nightmare.’ So true! Have we so been so cowed by our work dragons that we are reluctant to talk about it at all, let alone admit we’ve learnt anything that could help others?

I really am planning to walk up those stairs, face the publishing Dragons and tell-it-like-it-is.

Let’s hope I don’t get burnt up.

See you soon

BBTB x

1 comment:

Mr Fan said...

The bullyboss is driven by moulding an employee to their satisfaction. The bullyboss has so many deficientcies that they can not and will not understand and accept their incompetance. It's scary what people do for money to earn a living - it's like they are ROBOTS and say yes to everything to get THAT job security & pay rise. Because workplace bullying is the silent nightmare is it unspoken off, people do not KNOW how to speak about it, EVERYONE needs to be educated on a standard. This mistreatement is unexceptable out or work and generally I would assume people will stand up for them selfs, as they know that it could will NOT jeopardise their career.Remember do not lower yourself down to negativety, you need to tap into your diversity of talent. x

Bottom Swirl