So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 11 September 2010

WEEK 98 Stranger than Fiction

At my old firm, when events took a surreal turn, my secretarial friend used to lean in and and whisper, “You couldn’t write it, could you!” The irony was I was writing it, but she meant you had to see it to believe it.

This happens all the time. I often question whether I should blog about something when events sound unbelievable. Will people think I'm making this stuff up? And these serendipitous moments are starting to spook me out.

A few weeks ago a meeting was called with some new clients. I didn’t know what it was about – but I delivered the coffee and biscuits and thought no more of it. Later, I learnt that they’ve invited our firm to participate in a large corporate conference relating to employment law. Our firm’s role is to set up a mock Employment Tribunal and role-play a fictional ‘Day in the life of a Tribunal Hearing’.

I thought it was strange. It’s the experience I missed out on – and now I’m likely to have the whole procedure acted out in front of my eyes. The cast is assembled; my boss is the Respondent, another colleague is the Claimant, the Tribunal panel, witnesses etc have all been chosen. It’s going to be set up exactly like Court.

I’m supposed to be organising the details for the day in question. That’s right. Me. It gave me goosebumps – so I checked in my personal diary just to be sure. I was right. Underneath the Tippex you could still make out the ghost words ‘TRIBUNAL HEARING STARTS’ and arrows spanning the six consecutive days.

Is this the weirdest overlap or what? It’s exactly the same time as my actual Tribunal was scheduled to start and my new boss is playing Respondent.

They say truth is stranger than fiction, and fiction – in the case of mock
Tribunal hearings – is going to be just as informative and a million times less stressful.

See you soon

BBTB x

No comments:

Bottom Swirl