So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 23 October 2010

WEEK 108 Quiet Ones

Eight weeks have passed since I sent off my book proposal, and I’ve heard nothing.

Coupled with the fact that last week was to be my Tribunal hearing, my nerves are shot. To hide my jitters in work I’m working harder; getting in the zone. I threw myself into it this week. I was quieter than usual.

Even then, I’m clumsy. I broke a colleague’s mug when making her a coffee. I made mistakes, but I got through it. No-one suspects I’m fraying around the edges.

They were trying to persuade me to go out last night. I went for one drink, with one of the girl’s persuasive observations ringing in my ears.

“It’s not like you’ve got anything else on!”

Anyone suffering from workplace bullying would agree home is sanctuary. But more than that, it’s where we can stop putting a brave face on.

After I initiated my claim against my old firm, they claimed I didn’t act like someone who was being bullied. It makes me laugh now. (As if being withdrawn, covered in hives, complaining to HR and quitting don’t count).

I’m sure if you asked any of my colleagues now if I behave like someone who’d been the target of an extreme bullying campaign, set up a website and blog, settled a court case, and written a book to help others going through the same thing, they’d fall off their chairs.

They’d just tell you I’m a bit quiet.

It’s the quiet ones you want to watch. We don’t look like we’ve got anything else on – because we’re making every effort to hide the sort of emotional baggage few others can truly understand.

Best wishes

BBTB x

2 comments:

Mr Fan said...

They say one can not judge a book by it's cover, and that includes the quiet ones. You mentioned home is a "sanctuary" so right, especially when I'm relentlesly being bullied in a dictator ship management style, constantly. The power of this situaton gives the bullyboss motivation and nobody cares, they just want to look after their own backyard. I believe your book needs to be published to expose this silent epidemic where people do anything to earn a living without demanding a "democratic" management style.

Bullied By The Boss said...

I bet you feel like work's an 8 hour prison.

Even though I'm out of it in one sense, I don't know what I would do without having people like you who understand on the internet.

My biggest aim for the book is that it creates discussion. That's what we need. And it's exchanging ideas with people like yourself that helps me sort out my thinking. In that sense - it's your book too. It's a book inspired by those brave enough to talk about it.

There needs to be more of us!

Bottom Swirl