So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 13 November 2010

WEEK 112 Opportunity Knocks

It’s been a tough end to the week for my parents. They arrived home on Thursday to find they’d been burgled.

My mother took it the hardest. She felt the thieves might have been watching the house. She believed they’d been deliberately targeted. She wracked her brains as to whether they’d done something to make them stand out from the other houses in the street. She agonised over whether if she’d done this, that or the other – it wouldn’t have happened.

When the police arrived, they painted a different picture. They knew for sure the thieves had leaned on any number of doors until they found one that gave. It was impersonal and non specific. It was that simple. As night fell, the burglars had worked their way down the numbers and got lucky.

The police made my mum feel better. Not just because they agreed my parent’s house is now reinforced like Fort Knox, but because they’ve stopped her blaming herself. She realised she wasn’t asking for it to happen. It’s just one of those unpleasant facts of life.

The whole thing resonated with the way I look at workplace bullying. We spend inordinate amounts of time wondering what we did wrong. But I believe it’s more a case of the pressured boss or colleague working their way down the numbers. When they lean on someone without the neighbourhood objecting, it’s their choice whether they take the opportunity to destroy whatever you’ve got.

Opportunity may knock, but opportunists don’t.

So you mustn’t blame yourself if you didn’t see it coming till it was too late.

Best wishes,

BBTB x

No comments:

Bottom Swirl