So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 20 November 2010

WEEK 114 Catch Up

I never lost contact with OLLIE’S secretary from my old firm.

It was around this time last year that I carried her possessions home in a cardboard box. She’d left a ton of stuff behind when PHILIP had bullied her into signing on the sick. I gathered up her 2 pairs of shoes, her Walkers multi-pack, thick black cardigan, personal stationary, mobile phone holder, calendar, biscuits, tins of leek and potato soup, her paperbacks and snack-pack of assorted nuts. I crammed them in an archive box. Then I wobbled all the way to her house, trying to keep it steady as the rain fell.

It was impossible not to get upset.

She’s had a tough time since. She was ill for a few months, when her weight plummeted to 7 stone due to the stress. Then she had to work 7 days a week (days, evenings and weekends) to make up for her lost earnings. Finally, she got a good temporary job. She was on the mend. But last week they announced they’re letting their temporary workers go because of the cuts.

It’s not official yet, but there’s a permanent job coming up at my firm. I told her on the QT to get her CV in. They’re giving her an interview soon. I’m keeping everything crossed.

It’ll be my pleasure to help her unpack her cardboard box somewhere nice.

And the above sentence pretty much defines my ambition for us all.

Best wishes,

BBTB x

2 comments:

Mr Fan said...

Hope your friend applies for the vacancy.
There was alot of sickies the other day & the bullyboss was wondering why alot of workers rang up sick. I said to him can't you see it crystal clear, he said
"What" then I quickly had to make something up and say well they probably caught the cold of each other. Really I should of said to him You are a "alcholic dictorship, micromanager, who is a critical gatekeeper who sets double standards with a constant larikan behaviour & he boasts outload to everyone he is invincible. People like this is very difficult, the only way one can work effectively with one like this is that person needs to be the constant crawler. Which is immoral.

Bullied By The Boss said...

Hi Mr Fan,

I always think sick leave to escape bullying is an indicator of a serious employment problem. By the time staff sign on the sick - they're being badly affected. Psychologically, it also makes their return to work even harder.

I hope someone does something soon - but I know exactly what you mean about not being able to tell it like it is. V difficult. It usually takes his/her own manager to intervene.

x

Bottom Swirl