So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 11 December 2010

WEEK 120 Letter to Santa

Stephen King wrote in his non-fiction book On Writing that you can tell if your book is up to publication standard by the kind of rejections you get from publishers. London publishing houses are too busy to give feedback to everyone who writes in with a proposal. There are many reasons why they might not wish to publish it, including changes in their chosen genre, marketing concerns and finances etc.

The two main types of rejection are as follows:-

Bad news rejection: A standard letter with a photocopied signature.

Good news rejection: An editor who liked it enough to write back personally.

I’m only telling you this so you understand why I’m so happy that my workplace bullying book proposal has been rejected three times this week. I’m celebrating because, although those publishing houses rarely publish self-help, here are two examples of the feedback I’ve been getting:-

“I found the writing to be compelling and inspirational...Please do continue to send us any ideas you think we might find appropriate.”

“I really loved your eloquent writing style, and you have a lot of really interesting things to say about workplace bullying – a topic which, as you point out, is not mentioned nearly enough in this country.”

Obviously, they’re still rejection letters but I’m even more hopeful that my book will get there. In fact, I’m thinking of enclosing all these letters to Santa and telling him all I’m looking for is a YES on the bottom.

Come on, Santa. BBTB has been a VERY good girl this year.

Best wishes

BBTB x

3 comments:

Mr Fan said...

Hi, All the best on your book publication. Publishers need to be aware that this type of topic on recievers so called 'silent nightmares' need an avenue on ideas/resolutions. If the publisher was bullied like us, they would value & respect the priority.

Bullied By The Boss said...

Thanks Mr Fan,

I can't tell you how much your support means.

I'm going through a bit of a 'Will it ever happen?' slump so - thank you.

Very best
BBTB x

Bose said...

Gave me couple of new idea!
Cover Letters

Bottom Swirl