So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 4 December 2010

WEEK 118 Word of Mouth

On Thursday, I was delighted to hear OLLIE’S secretary was called in for an interview. My boss had a chat with me about her. I said how hard working she was. He called up her CV.

“Seems she’s following you around. I didn’t realise she was working at your old firm. For some reason she’s used the company initials instead of the firm name.”

“I can’t imagine why,” I replied. I couldn’t help smiling.

I’m cagey talking about my old firm, even though my boss has heard a number of unpleasant things on the grapevine anyway. He said once the interview was over I could pop down and see my old friend. As promised, he came up with his colleague at 4pm and said they were done, if I wanted a quick chat. His colleague stopped me and said she couldn’t believe what she’d heard about my old firm; PHILIP’S swearing, his terrible tempers and his throwing things etc. I didn’t say too much.

I ran down and saw OLLIE’S secretary. She explained they’d asked about our old firm and, not bound as I am by confidentiality, she saw no point in lying. My boss asked her if the things he’d heard were true. She agreed – PHILIP’S management style was similar to Basil Fawlty– and he allowed other fee earners to behave how they liked.

It’s not my word of mouth, or OLLIE’S secretary’s, that shocks people – it’s PHILIP’S own word of mouth and HOWARD’S own word of mouth. I’ll stick by the confidentially clause I’m bound to, but these firms that promote swearing, abuse and bullying don’t seem to realise how badly it’s their own word of mouth damaging their companies.

The subsequent confidentiality agreements keep the wrong staff silent.

Best wishes

BBTB x

No comments:

Bottom Swirl