So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Tuesday, 28 December 2010

WEEK 123 Learning Curve

I’ve been thinking about some of the changes I made in 2010.

Instigating any kind of change when your confidence is at rock bottom is unspeakably hard. And the longer we work in toxic environments, the more we come to believe we are powerless to improve our position. We hang our heads and tell ourselves we can’t change our situation because a potential employer will spot our lack of confidence a mile away. We tell ourselves we’re trapped because of financial considerations, or because we haven’t the strength to retrain. We remind ourselves of our obligations and promise ourselves we’ll make that leap when we’re feeling braver or when a new job somehow finds us.

It’s understandable, but when we break it down – it’s the philosophy of defeat. If this is how you are feeling, then it’s time to start job hunting today.

If I learned anything from changing jobs after workplace bullying, it’s that we won’t feel any braver until we do something brave.

Good luck for 2011.

BBTB x

3 comments:

Mr Fan said...

I agree with that entirely.

I wonder what percentage of the workforce work to earn a living, rather than work to produce their passion. The ones that work as a living would do many things they wouldn't like or even attempt to do in their personel time, but overall they have no choice to ensure the bread & butter is on the table every night, it can be a complicated situation, using bulling as one of endless topics, the one getting bullied generally are to scared to say anything as they know the boss pulls the strings & can cut them anytime. But ultimately we would like the boss to be told straight out on their inappropriate behaviour & if they don't care ensure there is a user friendly system were the boss is reprimanded with no stone unturned. we need more advice on how to deal with these situations.

Bullied By The Boss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bullied By The Boss said...

Thanks Mr Fan.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to do a job they love, but when we have to spend 8 hours a day or more in a place the company culture and mindset is all important.

I don't know about you, but I've done a different few jobs - and my part time work in a restaurant whilst I was studying is amongst my favourites - simply because of the people. It was a nice atmosphere and we worked hard.

It is a complicated situation, but I believe that its easy to lose sight of the fact that, say, working as a secretary in solicitor's firm is going to be a different experience to one degree or another in each and every law firm, as they're all run by different people with different attitudes to business.

Unfortunately - now and again you wind up working for someone who hasn't the necessary emotional intelligence or business skills for running a good business.

When this happens it's often better to try something new before our confidence in our abilities or our belief that there's anything better for us gets eroded.

Bottom Swirl