So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Wednesday, 2 March 2011

WEEK 141 Loophole

Just after Christmas I was approached about being involved with the Bully OnLine website to help with editing. Sure, I said. I have a great deal of respect for Bully OnLine. It was one of the first resources I found back in 2008, when my problems began with HOWARD.

Editors are meant to work in pairs so finding a friend on the forum was the first step. This week I met the anonymous ‘ujlia22’. She told me of the awful experience she’d had with trying to get legal redress after workplace bullying. She was candid. Her union weren’t much help. The law was even worse. ‘Ujlia22’ was angry and hurt, and her pain and frustration had obviously been compounded after she’d left her workplace bully far behind.

It occurred to me that aside from me and ‘ujlia22,’ few people are ready to talk about their experiences with the legal system after workplace bullying. I’m not surprised. It’s often a deeply humiliating process. With few laws against workplace bullying – we’re treated as though we’re ignorant or naive. We’re looked at with suspicion; as though we’re having a flutter on the compensation culture and trying our hand.

Legally, there’s a strange backward view to workplace bullying. As there is no specific law against it (it currently has to be combined with a breach of your statutory rights; sex discrimination, disability discrimination etc), the law’s attitude is that if it doesn’t exist legally – it doesn’t really count. Wouldn’t it be nice if life were that simple!

However, the real truth is that where exploitation is allowed by law – it’s called a loophole. It means there is an exposed oversight, as opposed to there being no problem at all.

So if you’ve tried to get legal redress for workplace bullying, but been told you don’t have a claim because the law doesn’t recognise it, don’t be embarrassed for yourself.

If anyone should be looking sheepish, it’s your lawyer.

Best wishes

BBTB x

2 comments:

teacher said...

Exactly my experience with the legal process! Thanks for this

Mr Fan said...

There needs to be improved laws on bullying, although a silver tonqued lawyer could probably win anything.

An example of todays daily episode and if it goes around the whole world, I would be glad, even if it's on radio's, paper, tv's or emails.

My boss groans outloud when things don't go his way, he slams things next to me then sings, he is a loud & very sarcastic larikan. He talks behind my back in my presence and makes foolish accusations, if I ask him a question he says it's personel.

This is rubbing of to all of his staff as they believe if they do it as well, he will like them more.

I deflect this cunning, grazy behaviour and nobody says anything.

Perhaps one day him and his folloers may get justice.

Bottom Swirl