So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 12 March 2011

WEEK 144 Daydream Believer

It’s been one helluva week.

And all my own fault, of course.

A big-name publisher kept my workplace bullying manuscript for six and a half months. I was cool at first, telling myself not to get my hopes up. But as the months dragged by, I daydreamed about getting a yes. What if? What if I could get a top publisher? Blimey, I could hold my head up then. What a comeback to HOWARD’S assertions that I’d never make it as a writer. Hurrah!

For the last couple of weeks I knew they were going to say yes with every ounce of my being. I’d waited so long. It had to be a big, fat, glorious YES.

They said no.

There was nothing wrong with the book, but they said my platform’s not big enough. They’d asked me about my following on Twitter and on the blog. How I wish now that I’d lied (although they would have rumbled me in the end). It’s a tough book marketing world out there. These days you have to be well known, super fashionable or a celebrity to land that sort of publisher.

I hold myself to blame in the respect that if I’d spent more time Tweeting and getting my “brand” out there, it might have been a different outcome. Also, if I’d spent less time daydreaming and more time being realistic I wouldn’t feel quite so heartbroken.

So it’s time to knuckle down and expand my platform, and maybe one of these days I’ll announce my train has pulled in.

Best wishes

BBTB x

4 comments:

Johanna said...

Sorry! to hear that. Would a smaller more Alternative publisher be a start? Susan Boyle went unnoticed for so long and look at her talent...so its no reflection on your talent..as you said marketing could be the ticket.. I still think your blog as a "genre is reminiscent of helen fielding when taken in the humorous, resilient context. Surely your choice of blog is unique? who were her publishers? Yes , you want to emphasise the serious "survival"side and strategies, but it is the story of courage and resilience in the face of such an experience that is so appealing I think...that gives it widespread appeal but also gets the message across . You have found humour to be the best medicine...We could write you such a lovely happy ever after..with colin firth...or Ewan Mc gregor..or are they too old for you?..Well, you aren t "aspiring " in my book..look at the blog! You ARE a writer..you flow...you pace...you amuse...and engage with the reader...we like you...and we want the happy ending!
Do you get much feedback about the "no"? How do you increase your platform? I'm glad you did not lie..liars live in fear..and I think you have integrity..Do you think there is a "lying" or a "truth" gene...there are pathalogical liars..and pathological truth tellers...
NOOOOOOOOOOOO! DON T stop dreaming..sometimes it just takes a little longer!!!..Maybe the next train will have better seating room! xx

Mr Fan said...

Keep on persisting and obtain proffesional advice on marketing strategies.

Daily I am being bullied by multiple bullybosses and trying to seek opportunities to change career, and it's not easy especially when their is no support working automously in hazardous conditions.

Whats better, being bullied daily or been bullied, perhaps the very first thing being bullied daily is to eleminate it first, then life would be a bit more pleasurable. x

teacher said...

Eva - Sorry to hear your news! Don't be disheartened. Many writers experience disappointment before becoming successful. Even J K Rowling was turned down at first I believe. So take heart and keep dreaming. You have the talent so continue to believe ....

Bullied By The Boss said...

Ha, I love your enthusiasm and, oh boy - does it lift my spirits!

You're right of course, I need to try smaller publishers - and the compliment is the big publishers liked it, they said it was great - they just thought I wasn't well known enough. So there's every chance a smaller publisher won't mind that I'm not Jordan or Cheryl Cole.

I love the idea that you guys write a happy ever after. How lovely is that? It really made me laugh. I choose Colin Firth!

Dear Mr Fan,

I'll find a publisher if you promise to keep trying to change your job.

Who knows, both of us may get above and beyond what we imagined.
x

Dear Teacher,

You are right, of course, and thanks for your support, it means a great deal x

Bottom Swirl