So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Wednesday, 30 March 2011

WEEK 149 Sensitive Soul

If you’re a regular reader, you’ll know that a couple of weeks ago the one year anniversary of leaving my old job passed by. Cue a strange life-crisis where I developed an overwhelming urge for a make-over. I wanted to be a new person; myself, but better. I wanted to emerge butterfly like, from the cocoon of past employment hurts.

The minute I’d got over my throat infection – I got busy.

First I booked a deep facial. The idea was that my skin would be glowing. My eyes watered as my face was chemically exfoliated. I had no idea that these things were so painful. I’d been warned of a small amount of sensitivity – only to feel like I was getting second degree burns. It didn’t look as bad as it felt, but that wasn’t much consolation.

The second thing I planned was to get back in shape. I aimed to be toned in ten days. I booked back to back classes; boot-camp, sprinting and kettle-bell classes. Now I’m walking like an old lady because my quads are so tight. Climbing stairs is a nightmare. My arms and legs are bruised from the extra martial arts classes I signed up for. My right shin caught my partner’s elbow twice, resulting in egg shaped lumps.

The third element was the most exciting. I decided to really splash out and have my teeth whitened; a real affirmation that I would have more to smile about from now on.

The dentist said it was pretty simple. He gave me the trays, syringes, and it all came packaged in a stylish black and white gift bag. I was sold. Or I was until I took the 20% bleach solution, applied it to the trays and stuck them in my mouth last night. Every nerve in my teeth pinged and twitched. An electric current surged through my canines and molars. And I was supposed to sleep with them in? For two to three weeks? Sleep? Are you kidding? I got around 45 minutes in all. I lay there longing for the morning and telling myself over and over it would be worth it in the end.

Who’d have thought that in trying to put sensitive matters behind me, I’d need quite as much Witch Hazel and Sensodyne toothpaste?

Ouch.

Best wishes

BBTB x

1 comment:

Johanna said...

great the throat is better..and to hear you are taking positive action..some people would be kind to themselves and relax in a warm bubble bath with nice music and a supply of choccie buttons, but not our heroine..! Do you now have Madonna shaped biceps...glowing peachy /porceleine keira knightly skin and simon cowell knashers? Good on you for actively going for it..you could do what my vain daughters do now and post a few poses on your real life face book for all to admire! a bit of vanity and ego is a healthy thing after all!! and now you need the night out and razzamataz to show it all off! x

Bottom Swirl