So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 16 April 2011

WEEK 153 Time Flies

If there’s one thing I’d warn targets of workplace bullying about – it’s the dangers of the extended present.

Extended present is where the prolonged bullying has gone on so long that it consumes target and perpetrator. Both employees become sucked into the atrocious drama of it all. It certainly happened to me. HOWARD was obsessed with bullying and harassing me; playing games by dragging in unwitting people to join him. I was obsessed with proving him wrong and eventually being in a position to expose him for what he was.

The bottom line is that the poisonous atmosphere in work becomes the only air you breathe; it consumes you. Past and future melt away. You shut down socially. If it goes on for too long, it seems you exist only to participate in a toxic game. Thus, present time is stretched indefinitely.

It’s nothing more than a coping mechanism, but the longer you remain in the extended present, the more damaging it is. The more you detach from a regular way life, the harder it is to it pick back up.

So it was a wonderful thing yesterday to have worked for my new firm for exactly a year. My employment lawyer boss laughed and said “Damn! It’s too late to sack you!” “Don’t think I’m not fully aware my employment rights just kicked in!” I replied, laughing too.

But the real good news is that the year has flown. Time seems to have righted itself.

I hope it’s working properly for you too.

Best wishes,

BBTB x

2 comments:

Mr Fan said...

So true, the daily long term toxic environment can be a dull drag when one has to bite the time, day in and day out to earn a living.

There gets to a stage where the victim is moulded from the bullybosses tactics where his influence has also brainwashed all of his team that believe it the norm. The staff keeps the bullyboss happy this way and in turn this provides job security to the all of the staff & if there is any resistance they will be dismissed instantly.

Its a sad state of affairs to the reasonable person. With ones contract stating privacy & condifidentail clauses, this is a situation where it is like the silent unknown victim is a servant in a goal.

One alternative could be the victim could leave & end up unemployed if they are not lucky enough to be successfull in alternative work which could spell financial hardship, its stressfull as generally the world revolves around money.

Bullied By The Boss said...

So true, having been away from such terrible abuse, I still wonder how those around me didn't object - but like you said, it becomes the norm.

Equally true, there's job security when everyone is backing each other up.

That feeling of being in prison is spot on. I used to walk towards the building and feel very much like it couldn't be much different than being in an open prison.

My new blog today is sadly catching up with OLLIE'S secretary who is still suffering from having a tough couple of years with bullying and the burden of financial hardship.

BBTB x

Bottom Swirl