So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Friday, 27 May 2011

WEEK 165 Truth Will Out

Last Saturday, the Daily Mail published a story about how a council chief’s bullying tactics led to the hard-up council paying out £400,000 for compromise agreements to silence departing staff. The Counsellor is currently suspended after a colleague of hers committed suicide.

Having been the subject of a temporary Restricted Reporting Order and a compromise agreement, I’ve first-hand knowledge of gagging. But if the Daily Mail story and the recent super injunction debate show anything, it’s that the truth will out.

The problem with super injunctions and compromise agreements is that they give those handing them out the illusion of control. They think the problem has vanished when, in truth, it’s temporarily off radar.

Until these people learn to control themselves and their impulses, they’re unlikely to have any real control over those around them. The situation is bound to repeat. Replacement colleagues arrive and new friends are made, until they too are gagged when things inevitably go wrong.

As seen with the cash-strapped Council, how much companies and councils spend on keeping staff quiet is a story in itself. You cannot buy permanent silence and any business, organisation or footballer celebrity continually throwing financial resources at such an ill conceived investment is crazy.

Fortunately, even gagged I can still shake my head.

Best wishes

BBTB x

No comments:

Bottom Swirl