So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Wednesday, 1 June 2011

WEEK 166 The Sermon of Father McKenzie

My workplace bullying book receives high praise, but my small social platform is causing publishers to think twice. It’s not big enough. And I’ve been kicking myself ever since that major publishing rejection.

The mistake I’ve made, of course, is in concentrating so hard on the message - I’ve overlooked my lack of messenger. This was something concerning me in my first ever Eleanor Rigby blog, 167 posts ago. I wrote:-

“I’m not scared of HOWARD. I’m not scared of being just another Eleanor Rigby either. I suppose at the moment I’m scared of one thing. I’m scared of blogging to no-one and, like Father McKenzie, ‘writing the words of a sermon that no-one will hear”.

Yes folks, I’ve been a bit naive. I’ve written my sermon, only to neglect to tell everyone there’s a new preacher in town.

Tackling workplace bullying begins with two schools of thought on education and awareness. One is employer focussed and the other is motivated toward employee. I’m pro employee. At present, employers have all the power. We need more examples of employees who creatively kicked back against workplace bullies. We need to get those employers a little concerned. Not that they should be terrified, but they should be aware that their employees have the power to do something more than raise a grievance or telephone ACAS if they’re targeted by bullies at work.

But who cares what I think, because the point is – with a small social profile, too few are going to get the message? At this rate, no-one (God forbid) will read the book.

So I’m geared up to shout a bit louder and help similar minds get their voices heard too. I’m getting to grips with Twitter (thanks to the help and support that is @Twiterrock). So if you like the blog and the message behind it – then please follow me on Twitter. I’ll follow you back and I’ll retweet.

Please re-tweet to your friends.

And ask them to re-tweet.

For ever and ever.
Amen.

BBTB

2 comments:

Mr Fan said...

I am sure there is a big market for your book as I believe some don't know the full definition of workplace bullying.

As I have mentioned in the past, people are to scared to stick up for them selves as they believe there job security could be Jeopardised which in turn could stop their weekly pay packet.

keep up the great work as in my state its in the press often causing workplace laws to be revised & ammended just because of these bullies.

Bullied By The Boss said...

D'you know, it's so true.

I look back and think, why did I put myself through it for so long?

The bullying started around Sept 08 - when the banks collapsed. I was regularly getting texts from secretaries I'd worked with asking if there were any jobs.

It took me another six months before I got my blog idea. It was desperation really, because I was too scared of the financial ramifications to walk out. I think it was my way of feeling more in control.

Thanks for your support.

I think you're right about the market being bigger too. I don't think it's niche so much as a wider market of people to scared and embarassed to talk about it. Where did I turn for support as early as Sept 2008? To my local library for books about bullying.

You really are the voice of reason.

Thank you.

Bottom Swirl