So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Wednesday, 27 July 2011

WEEK 180 Suzy Lamplugh Anniversary

Tomorrow marks the 25th anniversary of Suzy Lamplugh’s disappearance - sadly, HOWARD’S favourite joke.

It went way beyond banter.

I took his perverse modern retelling of June 28th 1986 (with me imagined in the place of Suzy Lamplugh) as a veiled threat. Who wouldn’t? His knowledge of the details worried me enough that I’d feel sick. HOWARD assured me he knew what happened. He told me in grisly detail, even miming some of the action. He said he knew her fate was what I longed for myself; male attention at any price.

These days, I wonder if he actually meant to scare me as much as he did. It was only last weekend I realised, with Suzy Lamplugh’s case in the papers again, that he’d been making it all up. Every word was fabricated. They never found her.

The joke was on me.

And take last Friday, for example. Where the world’s majority are praying for the Norwegians after the Oslo bombing and hideous massacre at the island youth camp, HOWARD would no doubt have viewed it as nothing more than another way to fire off cheap, disgusting jokes at my expense.

I worked with him long enough to know the kind of comments he’d be coming out with. But with people like HOWARD, their callous lack of compassion creates something else too. When someone else couldn’t care less – it often inspires others to care more.

And so we do.

Best wishes

BBTB x

No comments:

Bottom Swirl