So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Monday, 1 August 2011

WEEK 181 Textbook

Last week was a strange one.

I grew really tired of waiting for a response to my workplace bullying book proposals.

It’s impossible not to see the eventual publication of my book as my moment of triumph. To have written a book and found a publisher, what a comeback that would be in response to such an awful case of workplace bullying. On a personal level, I’ll have lost a few battles, but I’ll have certainly won the war.

From the last round of submissions sent out, 3 agents and 1 publisher have yet to respond. I’m told no news is good news, but I’ve waited four months for this lot.

That’s four months of staring at the phone on my desk.

Four months of staring at the little light on the phone.

Four months of jumping every time the little light on my phone begins to blink.

For someone so keen to get on with the job, it’s driving me crazy.

Self-publishing is the alternative. I’m doing the research now, but I know what HOWARD would say. He’d laugh his head off. He’d accuse me of being a vanity author. If I self publish and sell few books, he’ll say its proof that he was right about me all along.

So whichever way I do it, it has to be a huge success.

HOWARD may not technically be my boss anymore, but I know his ghost will always be breathing down my neck asking how many books I’ve sold. If I underachieve, he’ll be whispering in my ear telling me I’m a failure and a loser. If the publishers knew the pressure I’m under to make this work – they’d be calling first thing.

Surely at some point, someone has to realise that what I’ve done isn’t just a good example of how injustice can motivate someone to strive for their absolute best. No it isn’t just a good example...

It’s textbook!

Best wishes

BBTB x

2 comments:

wlotus said...

I thought I was the only one who hears the jeers of detractors when I don't achieve my goals in the way I had dreamed.

If self-publishing will get the word out, then self-publish, rather than waiting on a publishing house to acknowledge the value in your message. I wish you much success!

Mr Fan said...

I did place a comment last week but I'm not sure why it did not come up, anyway..good luck with your publishing, quote: don't wait for the time, jump when it's stalled.

Hyperthetical example of a crude thing:
The lamb is forced to the slaughter yard & executed for food, the lamb is powerless to avoid it, with all the regulations, the corporatation wins on the money they make selling the lamb to the buyers.
(the poor lamb)

If the person gets bullied complains & wins, the bully is told off. The bullies ramifications could include costs & morale to the corporation which may involve the absence & replacement of the worker & the reputation of the bully & the employer.

Bottom Swirl