So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Monday, 8 August 2011

WEEK 183 Uncle Sam

Last week, I was given a genius suggestion in respect of my workplace bullying book, which was:-

Why help just the Brits with this book when Americans need it too?

I thought the US was way ahead of us on employment law, but it turns out American employees are having just as hard a time as the UK. So I’m now all over American employment law. I’ve got half a ton of employment law books coming from the States. I’m researching the position on the internet. I’m shortly about to take time off work so I can really get on with it.

A big re-write is taking place.

It’s exciting! I’ve got a million questions which need answering. What’s the US equivalent to our internal complaint known as the grievance process? Is there a Code of Practice that employers and employees are meant to follow in respect of reported workplace bullying? I need to know about the kinds of free representation available to employees in the States and how effective these services are generally. I need to know if people can represent themselves in Court, as they do in the UK. What’s the structure of compensation? Is it also based on loss of earnings and injury to feelings? How much do US solicitors charge on average etc. Does America have Employment Tribunals like us Brits? If not, what type of Court are these claims heard in?

Huge isn’t it? Still, I’m on a roll. I don’t know if he wants me, but I like to think Uncle Sam needs me.

Best wishes

BBTB x

4 comments:

Fiona WordsBird said...

I would have suggested an American edition rather than trying to cram both sets of info into one book.

But if you're enjoying it as much as you say, go for it gal, I'm right behind you! xx

Fi

Fiona WordsBird said...

I would have suggested an American edition rather than trying to cram both sets of info into one book.

But if you're enjoying it as much as you say, go for it gal, I'm right behind you! xx

Fi

Romy Parker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pestie McGillicuddy said...

Eva - I've just discovered your website, and I've started reading all of your posts en masse. As an American, I can say with certainty that there are no uniform laws that cover everyone here. Unless one belongs to a union, one is on his/her own. Individual states might have differing rules, but the US is definitely anti-worker. For the most part, most people can be fired without reason. For a freedom-loving country, we sure do work in rather totalitarian organizations!

Bottom Swirl