So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Thursday, 18 August 2011

WEEK 185 A Good Sign


Hurrah! WOO-HOO. I’ve got an interested publisher!

The reason I kept this quiet for a week is because I wasn’t sure I could pull off their requirement in such a short space of time.

They were the ones who suggested I should include the American angle I wrote about in my 'Uncle Sam' blog last week. They gave no promises, but said if I can undertake a revision to include American examples, statistics and law, they’d seriously consider publishing it.

The whole process of rewriting was very rewarding. I learned a huge amount. I’m delighted with the new and improved book, and the whole thing’s getting exciting now. The most exciting thing, however, is that my manuscript is currently on its way to New York!

New York! Can you believe it?

I found a fabulous self-help editor in New York who’s agreed to take a look for a final check that it’s been suitably ‘Americanized’.

With all this going on, I can’t help thinking back to my WEEK 32 blog, ‘A Sign’ where HOWARD put a sign up about me which included the Statue of Liberty inscription. Do you remember that one? He hung it above his desk in full view of the office. It even stayed there long enough for me to take a couple of photos of it for evidence.

Think of this whenever Eva speaks:-

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore
Send these, the homeless,
The tempest-tossed to me
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

There I was worrying that it was a ‘sign of things to come’.

And perhaps it was. Perhaps it was a good sign.

Best wishes

BBTB x

3 comments:

wlotus said...

I love it when bullies' digs turn into inspiration and validation in the long run.

Congrats on the publisher!!!!

Fiona WordsBird said...

Fantastic news Eva! *does celebratory dance*

Can't wait to promote it to all the people I know who suffer institutionalised bullying.

Well done that woman. Proud of you.

Maja said...

Congrats!! That's awesome... :-)

Bottom Swirl