So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Monday, 7 November 2011

WEEK 199 Water Under the Bridge

On Sunday mornings, I run.

Come rain or shine, I’ll jam myself into my trainers and head for the lake.

Yesterday morning, it wasn’t hard to motivate myself. It was textbook autumn; my favourite time of year.

I ran down to the playing fields, here and there still studded with the black stalks of the previous night’s rockets and fireworks. Then I followed the stream, crossing at the bridge where the stream bed on either side was a glittering mosaic. Autumns leaves were everywhere; covering metallic green grass with gold and red. Distant church bells cut through the silence.

Runners smiled as they jogged past on the popular route, as if to say: ‘Those in bed don’t know what they’re missing’.

The lake is popular.

And then it happened. I knew our paths would cross some day, because we both enjoy running.

The Senior Solicitor from my old firm was jogging towards me.

This was the guy who helped cover up Howard’s bullying. He was the one who lied in the ET3 by implying I was the one virtually stalking Howard. The only mitigating factor was that I’d heard from my own solicitor that this guy felt pretty bad about it all afterwards. I don’t know how true this is, but that’s the way I heard it.

I could see it in the guy’s face. ‘Eva’, he said ‘Are you alright?’

What did I do? Did I cry? Did I run away? Did I scream at him? The times I’ve imagined I might do one or all of these things!

No, I threw him a smile and said cordially ‘Good Morning’.

It was a huge test for me. The importance of it lies in the fact that it proves my interest now lies with workplace bullying as a whole and with your experience. My experience, thankfully, is past.

The main thing is to get you to a place where, if you were to pass your bully or those covering for him or her in the street, you can also say its all water under the bridge.

Best wishes
BBTB

2 comments:

wlotus said...

I'm still too angry for it to be water under the bridge, for me. However, I would grin from ear to ear, toss my head happily, and say, "Never been better!" if I were to run into them, today. Not only is the statement true, I believe doing well is the ultimate, best revenge.

Bullied By The Boss said...

I'm right there with you!

It's taken me a long time to get to the position of being ok seeing him. And although I'm not angry, I do feel sad about it all - now I've had the unexpected reminder.

It's a long journey - I guess we have to be patient with ourselves.

I still dread ever seeing Howard.

You're quite right about doing well is the ultimate, most fulfillng revenge.

xx

Bottom Swirl