So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Sunday, 11 December 2011

WEEK 204 As Good as a Rest

Quite out of the blue, Ollie’s ex secretary phoned.

After 8 months of unemployment, she’s found a job and she’s happy.

I didn’t have much to report. Worn out, I’m just longing for the Christmas holidays and a chance to recharge my batteries.

The conversation turned to our former firm. She thinks something’s in the wind; a possible new claim against them in the Employment Tribunal. She wondered if there was a way to find out. I didn’t think so, but said I’d do a Google search and see if anything came up.

We finished the conversation agreeing to meet up nearer Christmas, as we did last year, for mince pies and mulled wine in her garden. She’ll burn kindling in her BBQ bucket again. We’ll have a proper catch up.

I haven’t looked at my former firm’s website since I left. They’ve had a redesign; offering a couple of new services. They appear to be doing well. What shocked me, however, is that Howard is still there. His photo and profile have been updated. After everything that went on, they still employ him.

I genuinely believed that when they found out the extent of the bullying, they would quietly get rid of him.

Not the case.

And almost two years on, the gory details will have faded. Howard and his pals will have come to believe the BS of their legal defence against me. They’ll refer to me (as they did everyone who tried to make a stand) as a lonely, malicious secretary who was out to extort money from her employer.

So my attempt to take them to a Tribunal changed absolutely nothing.

Up to the point of Googling their website, I was tired – mostly of being ignored. It’s hard to make a difference. But after seeing how much my former firm have supported Howard. I feel energetic again. They say change is as good as a rest, but this time no change is as good as a rest. I obviously need to work harder.

My workplace bullying book will be out in March 2012 and I’m going to move heaven and earth to make it a success. I’ll commit whatever it takes in terms of time and money! Details of the launch will be coming soon.

At some point, employers are going to have to sit up and listen.

Best wishes

BBTB

6 comments:

wlotus said...

For all the bullying survivors who are too beaten down to keep fighting, I thank you!

Jenn Jilks said...

Bullying is a horrible way to have to be in the workplace. Good for you for writing about it.
Is there a novel in you?!

sheila said...

Well done for keeping this going - will look forward to seeing your book out.

sheila said...

Well done for keeping this going - will look forward to seeing your book out.

Targeted said...

I am excited about your book, look forward to reading it! Like so many of us, we have left the bullying boss for new employment but the residual affects pop up every so often. How could an employer choose to keep Howard?And they firm is doing well?That just wrong...the last week, as Christmas gets nearer and I have heard chatter that the bullying boss is preaching about God and doing the good deeds with her culprits at the office, gives me energy to blog soon about it. I guess we can all hope for karma to meet the bullies at their doors!

Bullied By The Boss said...

Thanks for your comments and support!

The fact that they've chosen to sweep such prolific bullying under the carpet was a real shock. It's dispiriting in one way, but in another I'm more determined than ever to get the message out.

The details of the launch will be announced soon. I can't wait!
x

Bottom Swirl