So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 28 January 2012

WEEK 211 The Policy Problem

Yesterday morning, I was kindly invited to discuss my workplace bullying experiences on BBC Radio York. 

Below is the link to my stint on the Adam Tomlinson show. The interview is about 1 hour and 16 minutes in. I hope I come across okay. Apologies if I sound a bit nervous. Probably for this reason, I can’t remember a thing I said now.  


There’s a mention at the end of the interview about bullying within the Police, and this got me thinking. The Police, like the NHS and other large, well established organisations all have weighty anti-bullying policies, which were published years ago. 

I’ve long said that companies use these policies to absolve them of ever thinking about workplace bullying again. But, I realised, it goes further than that. The minute an organisation publishes a document saying they don’t condone workplace bullying - they tend to go to any lengths to make sure none of their staff speak out to contradict it.

As far as the majority of firms are concerned, this is an effective way of dealing with workplace bullying. Make sure you publicly state you don’t condone bullying – and then shut down anyone who says its happening to them. Simple!

It’s an insane way of dealing with workplace bullying, but the whole country seems to have adopted the model. The system meant to protect is punishing people instead.  

No wonder the Police are complaining. These anti-bullying policies and procedures are looking more and more like a tool for the corrupt.

Let me know what you think.

Very best

BBTB

1 comment:

lsroberts said...

Why is it we believe that by establishing a 'policy' we can effectively 'police' behavior?

Each time I read, or am directly involved in, a conversation where individuals suggest 'policy' as a solution to curb errant behaviour, I cringe. I completely concur that almost without exception the policy becomes another passive-aggressive tool in the hands of the abusive.

Nothing short of open (and often brutal) acknowledgment of the existing dysfunctions within culture can potentially lead to the path of sustainable change.

Policy is paper. Culture is behavior.

Bottom Swirl