So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 4 February 2012

WEEK 212 Open Doors


What an emotional week I’ve had! My book, Bullied by the Boss, is now available on Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com. 

I’ve done it! I started out with a crazy idea and somehow, despite the odds and obstacles, I got there in the end.

And I find myself recalling my journey; the hours on the book, my desperation before signing the compromise agreement, the day I walked out of my former firm. The flashbacks continue of their own accord; Howard following me around, my sobbing down the side of the office, and then finally back to that first day.

The day Howard arrived.

Here’s something you probably won’t know... 

I let him in. 

My former firm had one of those doors where you buzzed people in via a wall mounted telephone. However, a glitch meant people rarely heard the faint click of the released door and therefore stood there ignorant that they simply had to pull to enter. Someone was often required to jog down and let the visitor in.

Neither one of us noticed the other as I held the door open for him. He would, no doubt, have been preoccupied with his impending interview. I showed him to a meeting room and informed Philip. It was only then that a secretary pounced on me and asked what he looked like. I frowned – then shrugged diplomatically. She liked rugby players. 

Isn’t it funny how one person’s arrival can change everything?

And I suppose that’s what I’ve been trying to do ever since. I’ve been trying to throw the doors open on workplace bullying. At first, I struggled to get people’s attention, but I kept at it and over the years I’ve surrounded myself with friends. Now there are so many likeminded people, Howard has been quite lost in the crowd. 

So if there’s anything to be learned from all this, maybe it’s that when you’re being bullied you must go against the urge to shut down. Do the exact opposite. Throw the doors open. 

Sometimes we’re going to be exposed to people who are toxic and destructive and, when we are, we should go to great lengths to expose ourselves friends and supporters.

Then anything is possible. 

Very best
BBTB

No comments:

Bottom Swirl