So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Friday, 30 March 2012

WEEK 222 a The 10% Stupid

In February 2010, I was delighted to be asked to guest blog on the Guardian Careers website. 

I explained the benefits of being an anonymous blogger and being able to “tell it like it is in a world where corporate identities are protected by PR, marketing and corporate spin”. I looked at other workplace bloggers successfully doing the same thing; Dr Crippen recording NHS truths in the Guardian, Banquo in the Financial Times and the plethora of workplace bloggers listed at workblogging.blogspot.com. 

I concluded my guest blog with the following:

‘Companies should reap the benefit of these candid, ground-level observations. Taking a long, hard look in the mirror isn’t easy, but it is a quick method of improvement and these blogs offer a free and realistic reflection of a huge range of firms. What you do with the information is up to you.

‘Think of it this way. If you found out one of your colleagues was an anonymous blogger – would your corporate conscience be clear?’ 

Clear conscience or not, if you inadvertently overstep the mark the consequences of anonymously blogging can be dire.

What do I do now? Sadly, I have to suspend the blog with immediate effect.

Thanks to everyone who has helped along the way! I’m completely choked at the moment, but that’s understandable I suppose when you’re standing downwind of your burning bridges. 

I’ll close on one of my favourite quotes:

One man can make a difference, and every man should try. (John F. Kennedy)

I wanted to make a difference. My effort may have been 90% courage and 10% stupidity. I own that. I also accept I have a big price to pay for the 10% stupid.

I still tried.  

Very best
BBTB

2 comments:

Fiona WordsBird said...

So sorry the blog has reached the end of its road. But it was an act of desperation when it began, and you have moved on a LONG way since those dark, dark days. Think of this lovely blog as something that fulfilled its purpose.

100 per cent!

Fi xx

Maja said...

I don't understand why you can't blog anonymously anymore..? Well sorry to hear about it, I don't think you're stupid, but brave. Good luck:-) you did an awesome job..

Bottom Swirl