So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 16 June 2012

WEEK 231 Yesterday's News


If you’ve seen the BBC news this week, you’ll know about Nicola Brookes who won a landmark case ordering Facebook to reveal the identity of her on-line bullies.

Speaking to breakfast news on Thursday, Ms Brookes explained how she’d been labelled a paedophile and a drug dealer, as well has having multiple bogus Facebook accounts created in her name. Her solicitors were also targeted by cyber-bullies.

What I found strange about the story was that the item didn’t actually feature a discussion about bullying. In a case of extreme on-line mobbing, the presenters restricted themselves to social networking right to privacy issues.

Is it just me or is Ms Brookes’ case not just a story about people’s right to privacy? It’s not simply a debate about the legalities of defamation claims. It’s not solely an interesting discussion about whether website operators are liable for libellous content.

It’s a story about how widespread bullying is. It’s a story about how a random and benign act can bring you to the attention of bullies and how there are people out there who will stop at nothing to destroy your life on a whim.  It’s a story about how a terrible case of bullying isn’t going to make the national news unless it’s has some other exciting newsworthy angle, such as setting legal precedent or, forgive me if I sound cynical, it’s happening to a celebrity.

And I strongly suspect it’s a story about how the media are reluctant to overtly criticise or condemn cyber-bullies. After all, it wasn’t that long ago that Lulz Security took over the website of News Corp. A different case with a different agenda, perhaps, but the power these anonymous IT savvy people have must be the media industry’s worst nightmare.

That’s the saddest story of bullying – people are often reluctant to criticise bullies too harshly, lest they’re targeted themselves.

So I’m behind Ms Brookes 100%. As I often remind people on Twitter, it may happen to many, but when it does, you’re made to feel entirely on your own.

Very best
BBTB

No comments:

Bottom Swirl