So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 1 December 2012

WEEK 255 Put it in Writing


Twitter's @drunacoales kindly drew my attention this week to the ACAS website, where they are highlighting cyber-bullying in the workplace. They write:

Cyber bullying at work is becoming as prevalent as non-electronic forms of bullying, according to a recent academic study”.

Offensive personal emails, being humiliated or excluded in group mail or being mocked on social media by colleagues is on the increase. A victim of offensive emails myself, this trend is extremely worrying. It used to be the case that a written record of bullying was your strongest ally. Workplace bullies were careful not to leave a written record which could be used against them in evidence.  

So why are bullies becoming more brazen?

I can only guess that workplace bullies feel more secure thanks to the recent changes in employment law. It’s harder to get justice after bullying – even if you have proof. It really is a bully’s charter. 

In light of the above, if this is happening to you, it’s essential that you keep copies of anything sent to you. Keep a diary. And seek the advice of a solicitor or union rep. The more brazen the bullies are, the more informed we must be! They’re not infallible. It is harder to get justice, but it’s not impossible.

When they go too far, which they inevitably will if your company doesn’t step in, you’ll have evidence and external support. What you’ll achieve with this evidence and support will vary, but it’s something. You won’t be alone.

We’ll start there.

Very best
BBTB
BBTB

3 comments:

Felicia Kelley said...

Hi Eva!

HuffPost Live is hosting a discussion about horrible bosses TODAY (12/6/2012) at 5:30pm EST and we'd love to have you as a guest. Please email me at felicia.kelley@huffingtonpost.com if you're interested. Thanks!

Felicia Kelley said...

Hi Eva!

HuffPost Live is hosting a discussion about horrible bosses TODAY (12/6/2012) at 5:30pm EST and we'd love to have you join us as guest via webcam. Would you be interested in participating? If so, please email me at felicia.kelley@huffingtonpost.com. Thanks!

shoutsfromtheabyss said...

I often wonder why my boss doesn't keep more of his boorish "behavior behind the curtain," like the Wizard of Oz. The answer, of course, is that he gets off on pushing boundaries and making us feel uncomfortable. Yesterday, and I'm not exaggerating, he was using my co-worker's exacto knife without asking. She's very fussy about her stuff. He was using the knife to dig into his sausage-like fingers and stuff. When she noticed what he was doing she asked for it back. As she went to disinfect it she asked him what he was doing. "I was digging out some pus," he said. Later that same day he went through the outside garbage can to find something that he wanted that didn't belong to him. Such inspiring leadership! So yeah, I think they get off on these very PDAs. (Public Displays of A**holiness.) It's a power source for them.

Bottom Swirl