So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 15 December 2012

WEEK 257 Nostalgia



People who are bullied at work often want just one thing. They desire their working life to return to normal. 

This was certainly where I came from. I posted blog after blog back then, certain that at some point the situation would magically change. 

How often are we waiting for something or someone to come to our rescue, believing we’re powerless?

I told myself my bully might one day grow a conscience or would be warned by management. I figured that whatever was personally making him so miserable might resolve and he would no longer need someone to take his problems out on. I thought he might leave the firm or that a member of staff would speak up at some point. 

It’s understandable to feel that we don’t have any control. Where bullying is concerned, too often we don’t. But we have to help ourselves. 

The way to start is to let go of the idea that the clock will turn back on its own. That’s not to say that it won’t, but focussing on getting things back exactly the way they were before your bully showed up may not be as helpful as looking towards the future. 

With 2013 fast approaching, now might be a good time to consider embracing positive change. Do you really want more of the same in the New Year, or do you want to put yourself out there for something better?

You should if you’re not appreciated in work. There are millions of firms out there and they’re all very different. Isn’t it worth taking the time to find the right one for you?

Best wishes
BBTB

1 comment:

Renee Thompson said...

Enjoyed your post. Bullying is my "favorite" topic. I write about nurse-to-nurse bullying and really appreciate that you are taking the time to write about bullying in YOUR work environment.

Keep up the good work!
Renee
www.rtconnections.com

Bottom Swirl