So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 2 February 2013

WEEK 262 Leadership, Drive and Bullying


TODAY'S POST IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY STAR GUEST BLOGGER: COLIN GAUTRY (@colingautry)

It is with more than a little trepidation that I accepted Eva’s kind offer to be the first guest poster here. Trepidation because I am aware of the feelings which a topic such as this evokes, and also, because what I have to say may not be immediately recognised as appropriate. Yet, Eva encouraged me to share a few thoughts with you because she noticed one of my articles which considered bullying from a different angle. 

In keeping with the style of this blog, I’ll keep it brief.

Bullying should not be tolerated and those that are bullied need our support. However, there are a lot of people out there who are not bullies per se, but can easily be regarded as one. My concern is that ambitious, determined and generally well-meaning individuals are rising up the corporate ladder with insufficient regard for the topic of bullying. You don’t have to be a psychopath to be a bully, although I’m sure it helps!

In my article Are You a Bully? Are You Sure You Aren’t?, I cited 31 behaviours which are not uncommon among leaders and, in my view, are tolerated (if not actively encouraged) by many leadership development programmes and senior-level bosses. 

One of the more interesting ones on my list is “Demanding things at short notice”. I’m not sure I’ve ever met a leader who is not at times rather demanding, and usually at short notice. The trouble begins when the emphasis is on “demand” and lacks an element of “felt” consideration.

I believe that you can be ambitious and highly driven without risking being perceived or becoming a bully. However, that requires careful development of a strong set of “other” orientated values.

Now, with a deep breath, be gentle with me, what do you think?

Thanks, Colin. A fantastic piece we should all be mindful of! I'm also looking forward to hearing what others think.

And thanks for taking the time to contribute and share your views.

Very best wishes
BBTB

1 comment:

Tara Sullivan said...

It's always healthier-though not always easier- to consider both sides of bullying. Though I am still of the mind there IS a line which must not be crossed. If my boss were to ask, even "demand" something on short notice, that in and of itself isn't bullying. HOWEVER, if said boss is setting up an impossible situation-ie:requesting something he/she knows CAN NOT be accomplished in time frame given, that's a problem. I'd be being set up to fail and therein lies the foundation of a bullying situation. Being a jerk differs from being a bully, and your article asks us to look at the dynamic and make certain we aren't mislabeling someone as something they're not. And it's a fair and logical premise. Thank you! Great job.

Bottom Swirl