So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 9 March 2013

WEEK 267 The Best Bullying Buzzwords



Thanks so much to everybody who contributed to my management bullying buzzwords request on Twitter. I’ve had an insightful week reading through your tweets! You’ve reminded me of many I’ve heard myself over time and there are a few which are growing in popularity by the day. Do enjoy the fine examples of bullying euphemisms and excuses below and don’t forget to listen out when you’re next in work!

It’s Not Bullying – It’s Just That...
I'm just being honest. @RomyBoPa
It's a personality clash. @my_thoughts_r / @WeezyDJ2
It’s only a joke. @catheresults
You’re paranoid. @RJBuxton
It’s developmental/critical feedback @SammyGee74
We push hard for success. @iHealthP

Subtle Admission of Bullying with Dodged Responsibility
There are some strong characters in the department, but you can look after yourself, right? @Anaesthesia
You have to deal with different personalities in order to be professional. @LoloMino
You need to stand up for yourself. @LoloMino
That's just him/her being him/her. We all know what he/she is like. @ScruffyPia
There are some issues around effective communication @AFlawn
Misunderstanding occurred @InHealthAssoc
It’s robust performance management  @InHealthAssoc
Mistakes were made @wildwomanfund

It’s You, Not Us
We’ve taken 360 degree feedback. @KevinCarson1
We pay you to know what to do. @RJBuxton
I'm sorry YOU feel like that. @JoinedU1
His aggression can be hard to manage. @Myshcka
You're creating a lot of work for us. @drunacoales
She didn’t mean it that way. @urbanphish
No-one else has complained. @PartlyPirate

Who Knew You Were Being Bullied?
I [the manager] let the staff/ team do the hiring and firing @LibraryWeb

The Punch You Don’t See Coming...
The proposed cuts present you with a real opportunity. If you're up to it. @NHSWhistleblower
We'll be talking about this when you get back from holiday. Have a lovely time. @NHSWhistleblower

Aggressive
If you don't like it, you know what you can do. @Markus_Brutus
I get results. Are you on my team or not?" @iHealthP
I'm not going to argue about it with you. @samj12
I don't mean to make an example of...but... @3Jeeps3
I expect you to know how to do this. @3Jeeps3
I am not concerned about what you are doing today. I want to know what you want to be doing in 5 years." @3Jeeps3
If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. @ceallaighuncut
If you’re not working more than 40 hours you are not doing your job. @3Jeeps3

Pure Management Speak
Icebreakers – Probing for personal information. @OpenDoorTherapy
Micro Manage @HorshamiteHarry
At the managers discretion @PartlyPirate
Delivering change in tough times @SZeitblom
Managing sickness in line with established best practice @SZeitblom
Employees fire themselves." @HitlerPuncher
Very best wishes
BBTB

No comments:

Bottom Swirl