So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Monday, 12 April 2010

WEEK 53 Collection Point

Today was my first day back after my operation. I braced myself when the barrage of insults started from HOWARD. I aimed to write down every one. Sometimes there are so many I can’t remember them all.

At least my colleagues like me enough to send flowers and chocolates, I thought.

Last Friday a huge bouquet of flowers arrived from the office - my favourites - pink roses and Stargazer lilies.

“Been anywhere nice then?” HOWARD asked, taking off his coat.

He was merciless; how much weight I’d put on after the op; how the sling was unnecessary attention seeking; how I probably didn’t know the difference between masterbating and physiotherapy; how disappointed he was to sign a card he believed to be bereavement, only to find it was ‘Get Well Soon’. He picked up a long ruler and asked what I’d do if he hit my bandages with it. I didn’t take the bait. I comforted myself that it would all be collected in my diary.

I was in constant pain, queasy from the anaesthetic, but I was determined he was not going to get to me.

“Did you get the flowers?” HOWARD asked.

I’d already sent a firm-wide e-mail saying thank you. I said how beautiful they were; how my home smells like Stargazer lilies.

HOWARD frowned and said I shouldn’t look so pleased. He said they’d tried to get a collection together, but no-one wanted to give. He said it was awkward. He hadn’t realised how much I was disliked.

“Actually,” he continued, “it was so fucking embarrassing the PM ended up buying the flowers out of nominal office account.”

I looked at the PM, who quietly told HOWARD not to be so nasty. HOWARD, satisfied, sat back down.

An hour ago the PM drove me home. I was too exhausted to work till 5pm. When I opened the door and saw the bouquet of Stargazer lilies I burst into tears. “Don’t think about it,” I told myself. “Don’t think about it or he’ll ruin them. It’s probably not true.”

But it doesn’t matter. I’ve got my own collection that HOWARD has been generously contributing to for some time. I don’t plan to use it, but it’s my insurance in case HOWARD tries to sack me.

It’s evidence of HOWARD’S bullying; his insulting e-mails and offensive amendments. More than once he has accidentally recorded himself on Dictaphone. There is also my diary.

I don’t imagine there’ll be much of a leaving collection for HOWARD if it all comes out.

See you soon

Eva x

3 comments:

f said...

Howard is disillusioned with his one eyed mentality, his boss needs to action this to show his competence, alternatively it could be reported to the authorities with 100% evidence.

AUSOHS said...

Hi BBB! your mate in Oz here.
When this whole sorry saga is over - you've got material for a book. And it could be important - all subjects of bullying need to know they're not alone, that there are remedies (legal and other).
Best wishes. We'll keep in touch I hope!

Fiona WordsBird said...

The fact he tried to take the pleasure out of the flowers amounts to evidence that they WERE meant kindly and people DO like you.

He doesn't attack your actual weaknesses, Eva, only the areas where he suspects you might be stronger than he is.

So, love those flowers and revel in how insecure they made HIM feel!

Bottom Swirl