So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Bullied by my boss in 2008, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I started this blog. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him." I was unaware back then that it would catalogue one of the most extreme cases of workplace bullying in the UK. I've found another job, but am subject to a gagging order. I'm still blogging, of course. Just don't tell the lawyers!

Saturday 27 July 2013

All You Need is Love



This week, it occurred to me how often people say they love their job. This is a great thing in this economic climate, but what is puzzling is that these people are often in contact with me because they are experiencing bullying at work.

I hear it a lot. And they usually follow it up by saying how unfair it is that they have toxic colleagues. My response would be – it is unfair, but employees should take care not to compartmentalise. 

We must take our jobs as a whole – measuring pay, culture, colleagues and the management style we have to work with as well as the nature of our own particular job. I get the impression that when people are being bullied at work but still say: ‘I love my job,’ what they mean is they love one or two aspects of their job.

It’s very easy to over-focus on this good part and resent the fact that we’re not left alone to enjoy it, but this, of course, is no accident. Whoever put the company together and created those lovely, interesting jobs also hired all the other staff or put bad management in place.

The good news is, if you’ve found a job you love doing, then you know what works for you. You can’t buy that sort of enthusiasm. There will be other companies you can work successfully for. Similar jobs can and will be found elsewhere – but you can leave those toxic colleagues behind. Do that, and at some point you may be able to say wholeheartedly that you love your job: every bit of it. 

Very best
BBTB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Seems all management and HR specifically are becoming Bullies.
HR wants employees to be spineless boot licking slaves. And I am tired of it.
This is what I sent the Bullies at my last job.

http://hobohabilis.blogspot.com/2013/08/pan-oston-food-donation-helps-needy.html

Tara Sullivan said...

Excellent point made! We can love our jobs but be harassed and bullied by those "above" us to the point where coming in to the workplace is a living nightmare. I persevered and, thankfully, the 2 main persecutors have retired and I am free to once again enjoy my job and look forward to coming in! My only regret is not pursuing my case in court. With the e-mails and other evidence they created, they had practically gift wrapped a harassment case for me!

Bottom Swirl