So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Bullied by my boss in 2008, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I started this blog. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him." I was unaware back then that it would catalogue one of the most extreme cases of workplace bullying in the UK. I've found another job, but am subject to a gagging order. I'm still blogging, of course. Just don't tell the lawyers!

Saturday 25 June 2016

Robin Hood


For the last few years, the Tories have re-negotiated employment rights to the employer’s advantage claiming that doing so would benefit the economy. It was the EU in the main which prevented them going too far, along with some of the stronger unions.

The Tories version of give and take is also worth noting. They gave us The Equality Act 2010, which means that we can’t be bullied at work or harassed and discriminated against on protected grounds of gender, race or disability etc. But then they made it prohibitively expensive to take an Equality Act 2010 case to tribunal or court with court fees running to thousands.

With the EU out of the picture following #Brexit, workers rights and employment law will be looked at again by the Tory right wing.  I’m worried about the forthcoming employment agenda.

We need the strongest Labour government in opposition now. We need the strongest trade unions. I’ve got a lot of respect for Jeremy Corbyn, but this is too big a job for him. We need, um...

 

Robin Hood?

3 comments:

workingwithdarthvader said...

great blog. thank you "Eva".
I decided to write about my experience dealing with daily bullying because if I need to let it out. And after 3 years of being in the same situation I need to document it. Not sure this will come handy one day. Please have a look at my blog
Workingwithdarthvader.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

You are talking a load of rubbish. The Labour party wont make any difference at all. I suffered the same problem as you prior to 2010 when there was a Labour government. I took my employer to a Sex Discrimination Tribunal. It was all held largely in favour of the employer. I won nothing at all. He just got a telling off. I tried to fight for my right to holiday pay and tried to enlist help from the unions but they wouldn't help at all and neither would the EU who were allowing Great Britain to get away with not paying holiday pay to temporary agency workers. Something needs to be done but the Labour party are no better than any other party.

Unknown said...

grr she does not tal
k rubbish at all ! xxxxx

Bottom Swirl