So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Bullied by my boss in 2008, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I started this blog. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him." I was unaware back then that it would catalogue one of the most extreme cases of workplace bullying in the UK. I've found another job, but am subject to a gagging order. I'm still blogging, of course. Just don't tell the lawyers!

Thursday 17 June 2010

White Knight

Anyone reading my tweets will know I almost went AWOL this morning. I was going to go somewhere, anywhere. I couldn’t face work. I couldn’t face signing the Compromise Agreement. I couldn’t do it anymore. I didn’t know where I was going, but I couldn’t have cared less. I was going to ditch it and run. That kind of panic is a place that I never want to revisit.

I forced myself through it. I made it into work and later to the meeting, where I started crying when we started reading the Compromise Agreement.

It dawned on me, as we read on, what my solicitor’s role was. I’d expected my solicitor to come to my rescue. I expected him to rail against the bullies. I expected him to defend me and to fight the other side. I expected him to make them pay and bring justice.

This is not what solicitors do.

You expect a white knight - you get a white flag.

Originally, for ambiguous reasons, Howard had launched an attack. It led to a two year war. His motives no longer matter. It simply had to end. This is a solicitor’s job. He/she stands between two feuding parties and tries to force peace/compromise/negotiation. They aim to get the best for their clients in the shortest possible time and, yes, they hope to earn lots of money.

My solicitor said he’s failed his client if a case gets to Tribunal. He should stop the war – period.

I’m stumbling out of my trench and wondering what’s become of my world.

I’ll keep you posted.

Eva x

2 comments:

Mr Fan said...

...Don't make youself broke for someone else's incompetence, unless you are 100% sure you can make justice, remember solicitors know all of the loop holes and some can win anything, regardless.

Channel your energy into an awarness campaigne or a book to educate people and to always keep your guard up. x

Bullied By The Boss said...

so true. My solicitor said he saw similar thing three weeks ago when a top barrister (similar experience to mine) tore innocent employee and witnesses to shreds and made them all look like liars.

Heartbraking! x

Bottom Swirl